Many women have breasts that are too large and out of proportion to their body frame. In most cases of macromastia, or large breasts, the weight of the breast creates undo strain on the neck, shoulders, and upper back. For women suffering from this condition, breast reduction surgery is a great option. Reduction mammaplasty, as it is called, is the surgical reduction of the size and weight of the breast. The breast is lifted as well. The results not only relieve the musculoskeletal strain, but also improve the breast aesthetics and body proportion.
- Frequently covered by insurance to relieve back and neck pain due to large breasts.
- Usually outpatient surgery but sometimes overnight stay in hospital.
- Areola size is reduced.
- Scars usually fade with time.
- Expect to drop about 2 cup sizes.
- Expect one week out of work.
- Expect 4-6 weeks to full recovery.